Sunday 17 November 2019

Stick or twist


17th Nov 2019 SU Canal.
Returned to the stretch from the previous day, arrived 1300 and initially sat down in an armchair near to the bridge where I’d parked.  I decided to float fish today, try a few new swims, then finish in the same swim as the day before.
Fishing worm and bread I got nil indications and learned absolutely nothing, subsequently ending in the final swim somewhat earlier that planned. The rain was incessant, the mud had gotten worse and a few swims I fancied trying were either simply too muddy to contemplate, or due to bankside hawthorns, they were too tight to squeeze into without leaving zero space for the dog walkers.
Feeding a bit of bread and hemp mash, I started to get to grips with the swim, well, perhaps ‘get to grips’ is a bit of an exaggeration. The pull was going one way then another, the float was lifting and dipping, I knew the reason why, and sure enough within 10 minutes the first boat came through.
The water didn’t really settle for a fair while after, however I did start to get a few bites by letting my float run with the tow. Proper indications, sharp bobs and dips with the float sailing away on occasion, but still no cigar. I decided to drop right down from a 12 to a 16, with a smaller bread hook bait to match. Sure enough shortly after I connected with a small roach which took a bait that was effectively being trotted towards the narrower section under the bridge.
One of several dog walkers came along, pleasant enough, he then boomed “Is this your favourite spot then?” I gestured for him to get down and he smiled and left, then the float dipped, strike, fish on, slightly better fish too, bend in the rod, but came off 10 seconds later. Gahh..ffs.
Shortly after the water settled, a lot of the leaves had drifted away and I managed to get the float to stay put, however no more fish came my way. I did however see lots of fish topping in my area, mainly blades it has to be said. I had one final proper sail away on a big piece of bread as the darkness properly descended but missed in spectacularly style.
So, stick or twist? Move on to pastures new? Float or leger? In view of the location of the swim, next to a narrowing, there is always going to be stronger pull so I think getting a float to behave will always be a bit tricky unless I’m there at sparrow’s fart before the locks open and boats start to move, but even that’s no guarantee.
The swim is full of small fish so a larger bait is probably the way forward, I suspect big pieces of bread and whole lobworms might help, 2 of my biggest roach came to lobs. Gut feeling tells me to give it another session or two, may even go for 2 rods?

No comments:

Post a Comment