Sunday 8 December 2019

More wind


Sunday 8th December 2019. Llangollen Canal.
Fresh from yesterday’s successes I went back today hoping for more of the same.  


I made a slight change, opting for a one rod approach, with the plan being to fish worm one side and bread the other, then rotate between both swims.

I arrived at 1315 the wind was very strong, and cold, totally different from yesterday. I don’t know what it is about canals, but even on the big sweeping beds the wind seems to blow right down the canal. As such the light quiver rod was getting bounced all over the place so the upstream swim was abandoned after 2 casts, thereafter I concentrated solely on the downstream line.

The next hour or so was spent fishing lobworm via a chopped worm feeder and after that I alternated with bread. It was, as the old school match anglers would say, an absolute grueller. I didn’t have a hint of a bite for the first 2 and a half hours.

I got my first proper indication at 1545, the wind dropped ever so slightly, the light levels started to drop also and a quick pluck on bread never materialised into anything else. I had 3 more good bites in the next half hour, all on worm, but failed to connect with any of them. The light closed in at 1625 and I called it day.

A very difficult day today. That wind made conditions really tough and there’s no doubt that the much colder temperatures had an impact. It’s never nice getting your backside kicked and with hindsight I probably should have tucked my rod closer into the bank, and lower down, and changed the angle I was seated at. That said hindsight is wonderful when you’re sat in the house.

Despite the adversity, I probably fished better than yesterday and even with the horrid conditions, I still had a few chances late on, so those are the positives I will take from the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment